Does staying focused and productive sounds like a task when working from home?. The COVID-19 pandemic has forced us to work from home and for many of us it is not easy. So, what’s the way out? How can one stay focused and avoid distractions when working from home? Fortunately, some things are still in our control. Here are few tips to avoid distractions and stay productive when working from home amid the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Create your dedicated workspace at home: Creating a dedicated workspace can be the first step towards a peaceful work environment at home. Amid a busy household it can be tough to save a place for your office files and essential stationery but to make sure that you work productively and complete your work on time, it is important to find a corner that works best for you.
- Maintain a daily to-do list: Creating a priority list is the best way to get started. This list can help you stay focused and productive. You can jot down all the required tasks and number them according to priority and feasibility. Once your day ends, take a note of the activities that are pending and need attention the next day.
- Use a dedicated web browser: It is best to use a single dedicated web browser for work and keep a different browser for personal web surfing. Most of the time our web browsers have tabs or websites/programs that have nothing to do with our work. They distract and diminish our productivity. It’s important to stay focused if we want to get more out of our working day.
- Work during office hours: Keep to your office routine for the best results. It may not work for all but then you need to find your sweet spot. It’s best to start early if you are a morning person and call it a day as per your office timing. Not only will this keep you on track and disciplined but also help you maintain a healthy work-life balance. Starting and finishing your day on time will help you spend quality time with your family.
- Keep yourself motivated: It is easy to get distracted, disillusioned, and demotivated when working from home. So, how do you keep yourself in positive spirits? Always aspire to make a difference in whatever you do. If you take pride in your work, you can never feel demotivated. We are known for the work we do. Self-motivation is the key. If you feel disillusioned, talk to a colleague, find someone you can help, or volunteer for a project. Work on something that gives you joy and a sense of accomplishment.
- Be connected with your team: Team communication can lead to better productivity, as it helps you to understand your team goals and how you can contribute. Talk to your team members, discuss the projects you are working on, ask for help if required, or volunteer to assist a team member.
- Maintain your office calendar: To be productive at work it is important to manage your meeting calendar. Most professionals have to be present in client meetings and to be virtually present on work from home days you need to have an impeccable work calendar linked to your mail. It’s not only the office calendar that you have to manage but fine-tune your household activities as well to effectively manage personal and professional life.
- Take regular breaks: When working from home at times we forget to take small breaks. It is important to take regular breaks during the day. To manage this appropriately one may make a rule to take a break every two hours. Short breaks keep you fresh and productive.
Working from home is the art of balance and self-control. The more you practice the more you master this art.
Happy working from home!