Smartness is not always ingrained. There are numerous instances when smartness is developed over the period of time. We all agree to the fact that there are certain things that smart people do differently than other. What are those things?
What are smart habits that smart individuals carry which sets them apart from the herd mentality?
- Listening before speaking –Smart individuals make it a point to listen first and then speak. A lot of us merely blabber or revert without even giving it a thought. However, smart people are not in such hassle. They prefer listening and understanding more over the need to prove their point.
- Healthy Competition – This is a little tricky but try to understand our point. Smart people surely compete with others but on a healthier note. They rather concentrate on their own performance and try to improve it. Smart people see themselves as one of their own competitors.
- Less Procrastination – Procrastination is something we all fall prey to. However, smart people keep their mind under control. They are perfectionists when it comes to managing their work on priority basis.
- Attention to Details – Smart individuals have a habit of being observant by default. They catch minuscule details of circumstances. They are never careless. To them paying attention to details is significant.
- Confidence and Professionalism – This is something that turns out to be a natural instinct of smart individuals. They are always confident about the things they are up to. However, they feel no fear in accepting their failures either. Their confidence and professionalism talks for themselves.
- Inquisitive – Smart people assume that they are the least informed person in the room. Hence, they keep on asking questions and check the accuracy of their own knowledge. They don’t feel anything low in clarifying the doubts and gaining better insights.
- Self-awareness – Smart people are well versed with themselves. They are fully aware of their strengths and weaknesses. Smart individuals do not underestimate themselves and at the same time, they don’t overestimate it either.
- Smart company – “A man is known for the company he chooses” – this famous phrase says everything. Smart people are keen on hanging out with smarter people. They make sure that the company that they choose is as smart as they are in case, not more.
- Keen on learning and improvements – Smart individuals keep on learning new things. It doesn’t matter if it is a language, skills or merely an experience. Their inclination towards learning enhances their smartness. They are also keen on improvements. For smart individuals, self-growth means improvement on a personal front.
Smartness can be achieved over the time. It is not something that we all are blessed with. However, the day you realise that you are ‘smart’ and that there is nothing further to learn is the day when you accept how fool you are.
As Bill Gates once rightly says – “Success is a lousy teacher that seduces smart people into thinking that they cannot lose.”