Your eyes are the most delicate and vital part of your body. It allows you to enjoy nature’s beauty and helps you to complete your daily chores smoothly. Since they are very delicate, taking care of them and protecting them from any disease or infection becomes essential. To keep your eyes safe and healthy, here are five amazing tips.
- Sunglasses: To protect your eyes from harmful UVA and UVB radiation radiated by sunlight and dust, you should wear sunglasses when exposed to them. Exposure to sunlight increases the risk of keratitis or corneal growth, macular degeneration, and cataracts.
- Optimize screen time: Watching devices such as phones, tablets and laptops for long hours can damage your eyes. This is because all the screens emit blue light waves, which are harmful to your eyes. To avoid problems, you can take lutein and zeaxanthin supplements to help your eyes filter blue light. In addition, always keep your computer screen 20 to 24 inches away from your eyes and take a break in between while working with screens.
- Exercise: Regular exercise prevents you from diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. All these problems lead to chronic eye problems and damage your vision. Apart from the general exercise, you should also practice eye exercises which keep your eye muscles strong and flexible and prevents your vision from fading.
- Consume a balanced diet: A healthy diet is very important if you want your eyes to stay healthy. For this, you should eat fresh fruits and vegetables every day. Try to include yellow and green leafy vegetables as they provide essential vitamins for your eye health. Apart from this, eat fish that is high in Omega 3 fatty acids, such as tuna, salmon and halibut.
- Relax your eyes: If your job demands you to work on computer screens, then after every 20 minutes, take a break of a few seconds and look away from your screen to at least a distance of 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This will allow your eyes to relax in between the work and prevents them from straining.
Apart from following the tips mentioned earlier, it would be best if you also visit an eye specialist for regular checkups so that he can ensure that your eyes are completely healthy and safe. In addition, he could also make you aware of any future problems.