Managing is hard, it’s true. Preparations in accordance to the upcoming meetings are stressful. But it is mandatory if you are working in any firm, maybe private or in the public sector. Keeping a note on each and every topic that has to be covered in the meeting, their references and the associated queries that might occur in the minds of the clients should be sort out amongst the officers before the commencement of the meetings.
Here, I lay down some of the important to-dos that must be gone through thoroughly before the inauguration of any upcoming meetings:
- Set the Date, Time, Place: Keeping a tight note about the exact time, date and the place where the meeting will be held is mandatory. This clears out the doubts amongst the fellow workers about the most important prospect regarding a meeting.
- Set a Reminder: A post-it, note at the table, or remainders about your meeting through electronics such as pagers and cell phones should be an add-on to your memory. By chance the heavy duties make you forget about the meeting, these will be helpful saviors.
- Keep a list of the clients and their designations: The ones, who are going to attend the meetings, be it your fellow workers or the clients, a record of their names and their positions should be kept handy. This shall avoid miscommunications between all, which of not done, shall create an uncomfortable situation overall.
- Keep the paperwork and stationery ready: If the meeting is going to take place tomorrow, keep your paperwork and accessories ready tonight. You don’t want to fumble for important things in the morning, thus making yourself nervous even before the commencement of the work.
- Have a thorough check up on the topic of work: You have to know your place in respect to other fellow employees holding the meeting. Be an expert in the topic you are allotted but have an overall clear view about the discussion to be held in the meeting.
- Have a clear mind while talking out: Go fresh. Know what exactly the purpose of the meeting is and have a clear aspect in your own field. Don’t stumble while communicating.
- Go through the television the previous day: Scrolling through your television channels, which have some resemblance to the topic you are going to talk about the next day in the meeting, is recommended. This helps in keeping yourself up to date with the stock markets, the professional sectors and topics so that correct changes can be made.
- Know the exact purpose for the clients’ appearances: Everyone has a particular objective for their participation in a meeting. Each of them wants the betterment of his particular work-space. Thus, if you are holding the meeting, knowing the intention of all these clients, is mandatory.
At the end, it’s always about your own company. Hospitality and civil behavior with the clients are mandatory, but that doesn’t mean you will sway away from your professionalism.